CHECK IN WITH YOURSELF!Aug 14, 2022
There are times when it’s easy to find an explanation for the way you’re feeling. Maybe your day isn’t going the way you want it to go. Maybe your heart is filled with worry about a loved one or friend. Perhaps your body is struggling to fight off a cold or illness. When these things happen, you can easily justify your emotions or feelings.
There are also times when you can feel yourself spiralling into a funk for no clear reason. Have you ever noticed yourself feeling something, but you can’t get to the bottom of why it's happening? Do you ever feel grouchy for no good reason? Do you ever notice your energy level waning, but you can’t figure out why? Sometimes, the best thing you can do is pause for a H.A.L.T. self-check-in.
A H.A.L.T. self-check-in is easy. Start by asking yourself these four questions:
- Am I Hungry?
- Am I Angry?
- Am I Lonely?
- Am I Tired?
These simple H.A.L.T. questions will help you become more aware of what could be going on. Instead of letting yourself stay in a funk, DO something to get out of it! Flip the Switch from running on empty to taking care of yourself!
Simple actions can change your state of mind! It feels good to actually do something to move yourself out of a funk. Here are a few steps you can take immediately:
- Play upbeat music. It’s easy to reach for your phone and power up some of your favorite tunes. Music will change your mood immediately.
- Eat foods that fuel you. Chose protein, a salad, nuts, or fresh berries. Avoid high-sugar foods to avoid an energy crash.
- Move your body. Take a walk or an exercise break. Movement will energize you.
- Pay attention to your breathing. Oxygen is energy. Take a few moments to breathe more slowly and more deeply.
- Help someone else. Step away from your current environment and connect with another human being. Is there someone who needs you today?
- Honor your mind and body. Sometimes, no matter what time it is, it is time to turn OFF! Give yourself the rest they are calling for.
Your feelings won’t change when you simply try to feel differently. The best way to stop a feeling from gaining momentum is to do something completely different. Redirect your energy and your feelings will change.
- What was at the top of your “to do list” today?
How are you feeling about the progress you are making toward getting that done?
- Who did you want to connect with today?
How are you going to feel once you’ve made the connection?
- What challenges are getting in the way of your progress today?
What will you do to break through them? How will it feel to get started?
Get to the bottom of what’s making you feel the way you feel.
Pause to check in with yourself.
Flip the Switch!